Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Beneath perfect lines lie a sleeper

2. E39 5-series. From model years 1996-2003, BMW produced one of the most perfectly penned sedans in the world. I've always had a super soft-spot for this perfectly sized and balanced sleeper. Although it was possible to get with an underpowered engine, the same skin could hold a mighty 8 that would roar into play upon command. BMW knew this, too. Unlike most sedans where more money buys more luxury, the highest packages and models of the 5 series focused on sport. They were the 540 6-speed and the M5, both with sport packages and manual transmissions. I haven't driven an M5 much, but what I did I relished. It's instantly understandable and it's possible to be newly introduced yet get its real performance out. BMW nailed the target on this one.



An example of the 5 in the flesh, I parked next to this Dinan 5 at lunch today.

1 comment:

kyality said...

Definitely, definitely, definitely in my top 10 of all time!