Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Snow and Warm

This morning I awoke to even more snow falling along the Wasatch front (that's in Utah, for the uninitiated). It wasn't terrible, but enough to make the drive to the airport extend from 55 minutes to well over two hours. And it was cold. I made my flight, mostly due to the plane itself not making it to the airport on time; delays all around.

It goes without saying that arriving home in Atlanta was nice, and particularly warming. It was 65-degrees according to the MINI's computer. But that's not really my point. The really great thing about arriving home is the contrast of driving to the airport vs. driving from the airport. The former takes place in a crummy rental, this week's flavor was a smoked-and-body-odor-smelling PT Cruiser. It proved not only gutless, but also poorly matched for snow driving. The ergonomics were terrible; I honestly have no idea how it passed through Chryler's we-should-scrap-this-bad-idea division. I've rented a large range of cars and, even including the Liberty, the PT ranks near the top of ones I won't do again. I truly felt sorry for all the other PT drivers I saw this past week because at least mine gets returned after 6 days.



I recognize that not everyone has the desire to spend time in a sport-tuned car. And that's okay; I don't resent people, just the car choices they make. Driving that PT made the ride home in the MINI so more satisfying. I kept grinning - and gunning the throttle - as I made my way through downtown ATL. Then I took the above picture. Happy Motoring indeed.

No comments: